Re: A last missing link for interoperable representation

From: Julian Bradfield via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 07:47:45 +0000 (GMT)

On 2019-01-13, James Kass via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org> wrote:
> यदि आप किसी रोटरी फोन से कॉल कर रहे हैं, तो कृपया स्टार (*) दबाएं।

> What happens with Devanagari text?  Should the user community refrain
> from interchanging data because 1980s era software isn't Unicode aware?

Devanagari is an established writing system (which also doesn't need
separate letters for different typefaces). Those who wish to exchange
information in devanagari will use either an ISCII or Unicode system
with suitable font support.
Just as those who wish to exchange English text with typographic
detail will use a suitable typographic mark-up system with font
support, which will typically not interfere with plain text searching.
Even in a PDF document, "art nouveau" will appear as "art nouveau"
whatever font it's in.

Incidentally, a large chunk of my facebook feed is Indian politics,
and of that portion of it that is in Hindi or other Indian
languages, most is still written in ASCII transcription, even though
every web browser and social media application in common use surely
has full Unicode support these days. Sometimes using your own writing
system is just too much effort!

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.