RE: A last missing link for interoperable representation

From: Tex via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 14:08:23 -0800

Asmus,

I agree 100%. Asking where is the harm was an actual question intended to surface problems. It wasn’t rhetoric for saying there is no harm.

Also, it may not be obvious to social media, messaging platforms, that there is a possibility of a solution. Often when a problem exists for a long time, it fades into unconsciousness. The pain is accepted as that is the way it is and has to be.

It becomes part of the culture. Asking if there is a pain and whether a solution would be welcomed is consciousness raising.

I agree about leading standardization. I thought some legitimate needs were raised. The questions were designed to quantify the use case as well as the potential damage.

I didn’t think anyone was recommending more math abuse. I thought it was raised as an example of people resorting to them as a solution for a need. Of course they are also an example of playful experimentation.

Separately,

Regarding messaging platforms, although twitter is one example in the social media space, today there are many business, commercial, and other applications that embed messaging capabilities for their communities and for servicing customers.

I wouldn’t dismiss the need just based on twitter’s assessment or on the idea that social media is just for casual or “fun” use. Clarity of communications can be significant for many organizations. Having the proposed capabilities in plain text rather than requiring all of the overhead of a more rich text solution could be a big win for these apps.

tex