Re: Encoding italic

From: Asmus Freytag via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 13:17:34 -0800

On 2019-01-19 6:19 PM, wjgo_10009@btinternet.com wrote:

> It seems to me that it would be useful to have some codes that are
> ordinary characters in some contexts yet are control codes in others, ...

Italics aren't a novel concept.  The approach for encoding new characters is that  conventions for them exist and that people *are* exchanging them, people have exchanged them in the past, or that people demonstrably *need* to exchange them.

Excluding emoji, any suggestion or proposal whose premise is "It seems to me that  it would be useful if characters supporting <this or that>..." is doomed to be deemed out of scope for the standard.

+1. It's the worst kind of "leading standardization".