Re: Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators

From: Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 20:35:36 -0500

On 1/30/19 8:58 AM, Egmont Koblinger via Unicode wrote:
> There's another side to the entire BiDi story, though. Simple
> utilities like "echo", "cat", "ls", "grep" and so on, line editing
> experience of your shell, these kinds. It's absolutely not feasible to
> add BiDi support to these utilities. Here the only viable approach is
> to have the terminal emulator do it.

How will "ls -l" possibly work?  This is an example of the "table"
layout you were already discussing.

I think us command-line troglodytes just have to deal with not having a
whole lot of BiDi support.  There's simply no way any terminal emulator
could possibly know what makes sense and what doesn't for a given line
of text, coming from some random program.  Your "grep" could be grepping
from a file with ANY layout, not necessarily one conducive to terminal
layout, and so on.

~mark