Re: Bidi paragraph direction in terminal emulators BiDi in terminal emulators)

From: Egmont Koblinger via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 02:28:50 +0100

Hi Eli,

> IME, this is a grave mistake. I hope I explained why; it is now up to
> you to decide what to do about that.

Let me share one more thought.

I have to admit, I'm not an Emacs user, I only have some vague ideas
how powerful a tool it is. But in its very core I still believe it's a
text editor – is it fair to say this? It could be used for example to
conveniently create TUTORIAL.he.

I'm not aware of all the kinds of works you can do in Emacs, but I
have a feeling that the kind of work you do in a terminal emulator is
potentially more diverse. (Let's not nitpick that a terminal can run
emacs and emacs has a terminal inside so mathematically speaking it's
all the same...)

"cat TUTORIAL.he" is indeed one of the commands you can execute in a
terminal, and unfortunately, given what terminals currently understand
from their contents, I just cannot make it display as you would prefer
(and I agree would make a lot of sense). But it's just one use case.

There are plenty of line-oriented tools.

Think of "head" and "tail". They operate on lines of files, which end
up being paragraphs in the terminal according to my definition.
According to your definition, they could cut a paragraph in half, they
could render differently than as if the entire file was printed.
According to my definition, you'll always get the same visual
repsesentation, just on the given fragment of the file.

Think of "grep", possibly combined with "-r" to process files
recursively, and "-C" to print context lines. Not only it can cut
paragraphs (of your definition) in half when it displays the matching
line (plus context), but also how would you locate in its output when
it switches from one match's context to the next match's context
within the same file, or to a match in another file? How would you
define a paragraph, and how would you define the bigger unit on which
the paragraph direction is guessed? I think it's again a use case
where my definition of paragraph is less problematic than yours.

Think of ad-hoc shell scripts that use "echo"/"printf" to inform the
user, "read" to read data etc. Or utilities written in C or whatever
that don't care about terminals at all, just print output. In these
cases there's no one formatting / wrapping at 80 columns performed by
the app. A logical segment is typically printed as a single line,
which will be wrapped by the terminal if doesn't fit in the current
width (and in some terminals rewrapped when the terminal is resized),
this matches my definition of paragraph. There's rarely an empty line
injected in these cases; if there is, it is most likely to separate
some even bigger semantical units.

There are just sooooooo many use cases, it's impossible to perfectly
address all of them at once. "cat TUTORIAL.he" is just one of them,
not necessarily the most typical, not necessarily the one that should
drive the BiDi design.

Let's note that the four "BiDi-aware" terminals that I could test all
define paragraphs as lines – I mean visual lines on their own canvas.
If the terminal is 80 characters wide, and a utility prints a line of
100 characters, it'll obviously wrap into 80+20 characters. And then
these terminals treat them as two separate paragraphs, one with 80
characters and one with 20, and run BiDi separately on them. I'm
confident that my specification which says that it should be preserved
as a 100 character long paragraph and passed to BiDi accordingly is
already a significant step forward.

cheers,
egmont