Re: Bidi paragraph direction in terminal emulators

From: Eli Zaretskii via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2019 22:01:21 +0200

> From: Egmont Koblinger <egmont_at_gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2019 20:36:50 +0100
> Cc: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>,
> unicode Unicode Discussion <unicode_at_unicode.org>
>
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 8:13 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz_at_gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > That's the application's problem, not the terminal's. An application
> > that wants its column to line up _and_ wants to support complex text
> > scripts will need to move cursor to certain coordinates, not to assume
> > that 7 codepoints always take 7 columns on display.
>
> In order to do that, an application needs to know how wide a text will
> appear, which depends on the font. How will it know it?

I don't know. Maybe it keeps a database of character combinations
that need shaping, each one with the maximum width on display the
result can occupy. Or maybe it does something else. If it cannot,
and the terminal cannot either, then what you say is that some scripts
can never be supported by text terminals.