Re: Unicode font for Mac?

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 1997 - 18:00:40 EDT

On 8/19/97 12:32 PM, Vincent DelGobbo (sasvcd@unx.sas.com) wrote:

>Well, I am not very Mac literate. I am trying to view
>HTML files that contain Unicode NCRs via Mac browsers
>(IE 3.01, Netscape 4.01, Cyberdog 2.0). Not one of
>them will render my page but Netscape 4.01 for Win95
>handles if fine using the Cyberbit font. I moved a
>copy of the font to the Mac and converted it, but
>the Mac version of Netscape still would not render
>the NCRs (e.g., │ was rendered as a "?").

Then Netscape doesn't know what to do with it.

Again, right now, the only way to draw Unicode directly on the Mac is to
use QuickDraw GX, and none of the browsers do that.

The Unicode can be drawn indirectly by converting it to a Mac script and
then drawing *that*, and only Cyberdog does so.

When UIS is released, the browsers will be able to take advantage of it.

Just converting the Cyberbit font and installing it won't do any good in
and of itself, because none of the current browsers know how to take
advantage of it.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com