Re: Hawaiian language site goes Unicode

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 14:42:19 EDT

Hi,

At 6/3/98 10:59 AM, keola@leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
(keola@leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu) wrote:

>Also, does anyone have insight as to when Mac Nav or
>MSIE might support Unicode?

Netscape Navigator 4 and MSIE 4 for Mac both support UTF-8. They're both
limited to displaying characters that are in the Mac OS character set
repertoires, however, so many Unicode characters can't be displayed.
Also, you have to have the appropriate language kits (if needed)
installed (e.g., for Japanese).

We're adding direct Unicode drawing support to Mac OS (planned for 8.5),
but I don't know when the browsers will support it.

David Goldsmith
International and Text Department Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com