UTF-2, UTF-8, unicode, Oracle question

From: Tom Ashe (ashe.t@apple.com)
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 15:36:20 EDT

Hello,

I am trying to decipher the nuances in Oracle's implementation of UCS.

In their 7.x documentation they write that their character set,
AL24UTFFSS, is a UTF-2 implementation.

In their 8.x documentation, they say that AL24UTFFSS is a UTF-8
implementation of unicode 1.1 and their character set UTF8 is an
implementation of unicode 2.0.

Can anyone explain to me the possible differences between these
characters sets, as well as implications that would come about by
implementing AL24UTFFSS now, with a planned migration to UTF8 in the
future?

Thanks,

-Tom