Re: Question about IBM character sets

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 17:47:50 EDT

>1. Is IBM-932 the same as SHITF-JIS encoding point by point? My concern
>is that does conversion needed between these 2 code pages?

I've always thought that SHIFT-JIS was a generic term, with various
implementations depending on vendor.

All PCs use 932 as numeric index to refer to Shift-JIS. What you get varies
by vendor (and operating system). When MS made the switch to Windows, they
coalesced the NEC and IBM extensions (relative to JIS X-0208) into a superset
character set. This is referred to as code page 932 in the Windows API, but
technically *not* identical to IBM's CP 932, but a superset.

Using the superset approach allowed users with data generated on DOS PC's,
where the character generator in the Video Rom used to define the character
set, to move their data to Windows, where the OS defines the character set.

A./