Re: SECS & VSECS: Small European Character Sets

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Sat Aug 15 1998 - 07:18:18 EDT

To the readers of the ISO10646 and Unicode lists:

Ar 12:19 -0700 1998-08-14, scríobh Markus Kuhn:
>Small European Character Sets
>-----------------------------
>
>I have recently spent quite some time working out a proposal for two
>Unicode/ISO 10646 subsets that are so small that I hope they will become
>widely implemented in Europe and America.

As the editor of a Commission-funded project to develop one or more subsets
of the UCS, I must protest again, that Markus Kuhn, who has been
participating in the CEN Workship WS-MES, has published the "SECS" and the
"VSECS" without the consensus of European and other experts actively
working in this area.

It may be the case that, with or without modifications, the subsets Markus
has described will be adopted by the Workshop.

Despite the fact that Markus has named these as "European", they do not,
however, reflect European consensus and may not meet European requirements.

The WS/MES will, we believe, have finished its work at a meeting in London
the Friday before the WG2 meeting next month, and will present to WG2 one
or more than one subset for consideration as new Collections in ISO/IEC
10646.

We encourage implementors to await the subset or subsets which will arise
from the CEN Workshop as a CEN Workshop Agreement.

Michael Everson
Editor, WS/MES

As a matter of interest, neither of the subsets described by Markus meet
stated Irish requirements, which specify a number of characters from the
range 1E00-1EFF be supported.