Re: Currency symbols

From: John Wilcock (john@tradoc.fr)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 06:17:45 EDT

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 02:26:00 -0700 (PDT), Torsten Mohrin wrote:
> >>5) Peso
> >>Currency of Philippines. ISO code is PHP. Symbol is a dashed P. Could
> >>be encoded as U+0050 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER P + U+0338 COMBINING LONG
> >>SOLIDUS OVERLAY or U+20A7 PESETA SIGN. But the peseta sign has a
> >>double dash. Glyph variants?
> >
> >The peseta sign that is coded in Unicode has a single bar. We are not aware
> >of a double slash variant. Perhaps, you could include evidence for this?
>
> Sorry, I've made mistake! The glyphs are identical.

FWIW, in all the fonts available to me (mostly MS TTF fonts) U+20A7
PESETA SIGN is represented by a "Pts" glyph (or just "Pt" in Bitstream
Cyberbit) rather than a dashed P as shown in the Unicode charts.
Indeed, I don't recall ever seeing seen a dashed P used in Spain.

John.

--
-- Over 700 webcams from ski resorts around the world - http://www.tradoc.fr/john/webcams/
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages   - http://www.tradoc.fr/en/