Religion and Character Sets? (was Re: First day of the week)

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 03:22:16 EDT

At 17:45 -0700 6/28/1999, Alain wrote:
>A 19:40 99-06-28 -0500, G. Adam Stanislav a écrit :
>>On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 01:37:51PM -0700, Alain wrote:
>>> [Alain] All this is not contradictory. The fact is that today it is the
>>> Jewish tradition which persisted while the other civilization to whih it
>>> owes its evolution vanished culturally, at least.
>
>[Adam]
>>Let's just hope that 3000 years from now people won't believe Jerry Falwell
>>brought us Unicode...
>
>[Alain] To see how much my mind had to be "localized" I had to look through
>Altavista to have a clue about who Jerry Falwell was... Now I know, it took
>30 seconds... (;
>
>Alain

Christian Bible translators and missionaries make up an important early
adopter user population for Unicode. Check out the SIL site
<http://www.sil.org>, the International Bible Society
<http://www.gospelcom.net/ibs/>, or the Christian Science Virtual Reading
Room <http://mtn.org/csreadingroom/bib%20trans.htm>.

They won't have it all to themselves of course. I know a number of
Buddhist missionaries and scholars in the U.S. and in several Asian
countries who are working on their own translation and publishing projects.
You can get a CD-ROM of Buddhist scriptures in Pali (Sinhalese or Thai
script or romanization), Tibetan, or Chinese (in some cases with Korean or
Japanese works added in), and there are similar projects for Pali in
Devanagari, and for Sanskrit and Mongolian collections.

With Unicode we can start bringing all of these versions of a sutra or
commentary together, or think about a Bible CD-ROM with Hebrew, Greek,
Aramaic, Coptic, Syriac, and other versions linked together.

--
Edward Cherlin                        President
Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail