Re: Plain Text

From: Jonathan Rosenne (rosenne@qsm.co.il)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 00:13:14 EDT

I agree with John. The interchange standard should be UTF-8 or UTF-16. The
sending and receiving systems should handle conversions. If the receiving
system does not tag files, and uses just one encoding, it should convert
the file as best it can.

This way, the receiving system does not need to recognize a large number of
character sets, only those it wishes to support.

Since the meaning of CR, LF, CRLF, FF cannot be agreed, I agree additional
Unicode characters look like a good solution. And again, the sending and
receiving systems should handle conversions.

I don't think tabs are needed. Spaces are sufficient.

Jony