Re: Plain Text [**NOT**]

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 14:14:37 EDT

Not exactly.

On my father's World War II vintage German typewriter and I believe most
later models as well, until
perhaps they became electric, pushing the lever did a linefeed. If you
continued to push,
after the lever had gone as far as it could go, then your force was
applied to the carriage
and it was returned. But you could, if you wanted to just advance the
form without the
return, by not pushing further then the lever would go.

I believe that you could also push anywhere on the carriage and it would
return, but the lever
was handiest. So perhaps the lever was really only line-feed, and it was
just convenience
that return could also be accomplished.

tex

--
We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know

Progress Software Corp.        Voice:         +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                      Fax:         +1-781-280-4949
Bedford, MA 01730  USA             texin@bedford.progress.com