Re: dotless j

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 10:50:21 EDT

Michael Everson wrote:

> That's not logical. We have LATIN SMALL LETTER I which is defined as a
> character that can stand alone or can take diacritics. We have LATIN SMALL
> LETTER DOTLESS I which is defined as a character that can stand alone.

But what we do not have is a character which can appear only with
diacritics. It would not a character but a glyph, and indeed a
glyph fragment. We might as well have conjoining characters
BOWL and POST.

> We would also then have a proper mapping for IPA fonts. In SIL's IPA fonts
> for the Mac, for instance, U+006A is found at x6A, U+02B2 is found at x4A,
> and DOTLESS J is found at xBE. I am sure that a review of other

There is no (further) reason why any fonts should be mappable 1-1
to Unicode characters.

> >When a rendering engine sees j followed by a a combining mark, it either
> >finds a precomposed glyph for that combination, or it takes the j-base glyph
> >(aka dotless j) and adds the combining mark.
>
> Neither of which, of course, is present in your font.....

So much the worse, by Ghordjazz, for your font.

> I fail to see the advantage to mapping U+0135 and U+01F0 and HOOKTOP J to
> U+006A when mapping them to DOTLESS J would be more practical, and would
> map more neatly to existing (legacy) IPA fonts. These phonetic characters
> have their own semantics; the semantics of the underlying "J-ness" is
> secondary.

U+0135 is an Esperanto (8859-3) character; AFAIK it has no
phonetic use (Pullum and Ladusaw are silent on it).

> I note that in L2/99-159, a request from STIX Project of the STIPUB
> Consortium (a consortium of scientific societies and scientic/technical
> publishers), the character SMALL LETTER J, NO DOT is requested at position
> 6x11.

And what did they want it for? If to match TeX \j, then we're back
to the old stand. If for genuine standalone use, then in what
contexts?

   Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,
   Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies.
			-- Coleridge / Politzer