Re: dotless j

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold (elharo@metalab.unc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 08:50:54 EDT

At 3:44 PM -0700 7/6/99, Timothy Partridge wrote:
>John Cowan recently said:
>

>> > If you are feeling really keen you can add a compatibility
>>decomposition for
>> > U+0079 of <ligature> dotless i, dotless long i and a comment not equal
>> > U+0133 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE IJ. Can anyone think of an English word
>>with the
>> > sequence ij in the same syllable? I think they have (almost?) all
>>become y's
>> > especially the ii sound at the ends of words.
>>
>> That sounds like Dutch, not English. Do you have evidence that any
>> real English word was ever written with either ii or ij, excluding
>> the Roman numerals?
>
>I was being a bit tongue in cheek. I can't think of an English word, but
>in the period in question Latin was common (and French). -ius words become
>-ii in the plural. If you have a copy of Cappelli's "Dizionario di
>Abbreviature latine ed italiane" there is an example on page 2 of alii where
>there are two i's in superscript over an a and the second i is long (It
>looks rather like a superscript y but without a curl in its tail).

But these are not part of the same syllable. An English equivalent would
be radii (plural of radius) which is syllabized as rad-i-i

| Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999) |
| http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/books/javaio/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java news: http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML news: http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/ |