Version 3.0 and Greek Extended

From: De Leo Elena (edeleo@loescher.it)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 05:56:31 EDT

Dear friends,
        I'm new to this list and I would like to get some explanations about
the Unicode beta Version 3.0 and its features. First of all I work in a
publisher house and I'm dealing with a revised edition of an Ancient
Greek-Italian dictionary for scholars. I'm very much grateful to Unicode
Consortium efforts and TEI initiative that have allowed me to classify in a
univocal way almost all the different characters of Ancient Greek and most
of the signs used by ethymologists to describe Indoeuropean derived
languages (by now I can reckon more than 600 different kinds of characters
through the whole dictionary). Since my classification job is still in
progress, I am interested in getting more information about some revisions
which have been announced in the Unicode web page dedicated to Version 3.0
(/Unicode3.0beta.html), especially the revision of capital letters with iota
adscript and whatever referres to Extended Greek set in general. How the
changes will affect also the Unicode compliant fonts design? E.g., will
iota prosgegrammeni be still illustrated as subscript in capital letters? Is
there any specific reason for not including precomposed GREEK CAPITAL LETTER
RHO WITH PSILI?
These are just a couple of questions. I will be glad to exchange ideas
particularly with those who are engaged in ancient Greek character set
definition and description or those who have similar experience in editorial
field.
Thank you

Elena de Leo

Redazione umanistica