Re: Unicode in source code. WHY?

From: Torsten Mohrin (mohrin@sharmahd.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 12:07:18 EDT

Hiro,

You wrote:

><tag> ... </tag>
>
>I'd like to use my native language in the <tag>s

XML/SGML tags are a kind of internal/hidden thing, like C++ code. No
"normal" user should ever see it. IMHO, we should concentrate on
internationalizing the more visible aspects of software.

If you use "neutral" (english) tags, it will be easier to map them by
a simple table to any language. Most SGML editors allow such mapping,
so the tags will remain stable. If the editor is properly configured,
the author will never see the english tags.

But maybe I'm a bit too "englishized". Anyway, thanks for your
comments.

Torsten

--
Torsten Mohrin
Sharmahd Computing GmbH, Hannover, Germany