Re: Unicode in source code. WHY?

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 11:32:38 EDT

Ar 06:54 -0700 1999-07-20, scríobh Torsten Mohrin:
>Can someone give me at least one really good reason, why I should use
>Unicode in identifiers in programming languages? What's wrong with
>English and ASCII (and I mean "ASCII") and [A-Za-z_] ?

All text should be written in the Universal Character Set in preference to
ANY OTHER character set. Please the gods and the stockholders, this will be
available to all of us soon.

>UCNs are a good idea, e.g. in string literals, regular expression,
>resource files, config files and so on. But, IMHO, it's a very stupid
>idea to use Unicode characters in identifiers. I will never use them
>and I will forbid the programmers in my company to use them
>(fortunately I can do that).

With that kind of attitude, I imagine you will find your company
uncompetitive in the global market.

>We use only English based identifiers.

As an educated native speaker of English I would like to inform you that
even English, correctly spelled, requires characters other than the letters
A-Z, as in naturalized words such as façade, café, vicuña, and so on.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)