Re: off topic: Re: Unicode in source code. WHY?

From: Scott Horne (shorne@metaphasetech.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 16:36:15 EDT

> > Permissive dictionaries unwisely tolerate the omission of accent marks
> > in those words.
>
> Dictionary authorities (not just Webster's) do not agree with you, nor do I or
> any of the native English speakers I encounter.

What do you mean by "Webster's"? Many dictionaries are published
under that name or variants thereof.

> You can try to be prescriptivist with living languages,

Not for nothing do we speak of _orthography_. The prevailing
heterography has not improved English.

> but they will continue
> to evolve.

The evolution of _résumé_ into _resume_ (ambiguous), _resumé_
(incorrect), and even _resumè_ (godawful) was driven by laziness and
ignorance. You may take the low road if you wish, but I shall
take the high road. And I'll be in Scotland afore ye.

(By the way, I do not need a lecture on descriptive/prescriptive
linguistics.)

Scott Horne