RE: Unicode in source code. WHY?

From: Christopher J. Fynn (cfynn@dircon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 18:19:01 EDT

> From: Hirotaka Yoshioka
> Hi,

> Torsten Mohrin wrote:
> > Can someone give me at least one really good reason, why I should use
> > Unicode in identifiers in programming languages? What's wrong with
> > English and ASCII (and I mean "ASCII") and [A-Za-z_] ?
>
> You may not think the XML is a kind of programming language.
>
> It is a programming language to exchange data or meta data.
>
> The syntax is the following.
> <tag> ... </tag>

> I'd like to use my native language in the <tag>s

> I know a tag is not identifier but the tag is processed by
> the XML processor.

> Regards,
> Hiro

Presumably you _can_ create an XML DTD that tells the processor that
<Japanese TAG ></Japanese TAG> should be processed in an identical
manner to <English TAG ></English TAG> - or you can define new tags
in the DTD that are entirely Japanese.

Isn't there an ISO standards committee for the internationalisation of
programming languages? Surely this particular discussion belongs
there. Unicode / ISO 10646 provides a standard character set, if you
like a super ASCII that could be used to globalise programming source
code but the merits and demerits of doing this surely have nothing to
do with Unicode.

 - Chris