Re: Unicode in source code. WHY?

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 18:53:39 EDT

Well fwiw, when I work with programs written by non-English programmers
and using
non-English variable names,
the good news is that I do not get mislead by someone having either
chosen a variable name
poorly (with the wrong meaning) or having changed the meaning of the
variable
after they began using it!
;-)

On a more serious note, when I hire programmers, I have to look for
quality people with
many hard-to-find skills: C++, Java, database, networking, web, Unicode,
I18n, etc.
It's hard enough to find good people with multiple expertises.

For projects outside of English-speaking territories, it increases the
difficulty and/or the cost
of getting a good programmer, if I also require them to read/write
English.
There are many engineers that for whatever reason have difficulty with
English but are excellent
technically.
I would rather concentrate my recruiting efforts on technical skills and
(where appropriate!) let
variable names be native, then overlook an otherwise qualified engineer.

Frankly, anyone looking at the code learns the native (variable) names
quickly.
Programming is not for those that can't pickup an acronym or widget name
quickly...

Tex

--
We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know

Progress Software Corp.        Voice:         +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                      Fax:         +1-781-280-4949
Bedford, MA 01730  USA             texin@bedford.progress.com