Re: Off topic: English orthography

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Wed Jul 21 1999 - 17:54:19 EDT

As long as we're drastically off topic and generally bashing one another's
languages in a jolly free-for-all frolic... Scott H says...

> The general population of the US has little idea of how to use
> an ordinary _c_, to say nothing of a _ç_.

Right he is. However, that's not just true of Americans. You could
generalize it even further. It's true that in any small random sampling of
homo sapiens -- say, ten animals plucked randomly from various positions on
the globe -- you are unlikely to encounter even one instance of the species
which DOES have any idea how to use EITHER _c_ or _ç_. That's even more
statistically impressive!

I'm sure some mathematically inclined reader will quantify this unlikelihood
by calculating an estimate of the odds. ("Spock, what would you estimate
the odds are?")

        Rick