Re: TeX (was: apostrophe etc.)

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 15:48:36 EDT

Michael wrote (of two spaces after a sentence-ending period):
> No, it's an artifact of bad training codified by someone who should have
> known better.
>
> Grrrrrrrrrr.

Since we're all in such a chatty mood this week, I thought I'd mention
that this convention might be codified to a greater extent than you might
imagine in some of our (well, my) favorite tools, such as EMACS, where
operations on sentences work when you put two spaces after the period, and
don't work if you put only one. Also, TeX is not the only typesetting
system that applies less glue at sentence termination than elsewhere but
I'd be showing my age if I mentioned any names.

- Frank