Re: African letters (Was: A basic question on encoding Latin

From: Andrew Cunningham (andjc@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 21:17:09 EDT

Thanks John,

I was aware of those characters ... just not sure whether to treat them as
variant glyphs or separate characters.

and yes the private use area could be used for for the additional two
characters (with diacritics) .. i'd started playing around with that idea
... not ideal, but workable ... dependent on the software and ime's being
used ...

i can throw something together for my own use ... but the actual people who
will be typing the material have medium to minimal levels of experience with
computers ... whatever input method I end up using will have to be fairly
transparent ... and simple to switch to and from ...

since i'm not a typographer .. any font solution I'm likely to come up with
will be crude at the best ...

Cha`o

Andrew Cunningham
Information Systems Librarian