RE: A basic question on encoding Latin characters

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 17:24:59 EDT

    Murray> Interesting to note that the Vietnamese experts at Microsoft chose
    Murray> not to use the special precomposed Vietnamese characters that were
    Murray> added to Unicode because these characters aren't simply compatible
    Murray> with existing Vietnamese documents and databases. Adding new
    Murray> precomposed characters often presents as many problems as they
    Murray> purport to solve.

In fact I now only use the decomposed versions of the Vietnamese vowels in our
system. In the end, it made life a lot easier for editing and searching.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab The more I see of the representatives
New Mexico State University of the people, the more I admire my dogs.
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL -- Alphonse de Lamartine, 1790-1869
Las Cruces, NM 88003