Re: A basic question on encoding Latin characters

From: Mark E. Davis (markdavis@ispchannel.com)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 00:18:23 EDT

Perhaps you could explain a bit more. Your environment is probably enough
different that I am finding it a bit tricky to understand the constraints you are
working under.

In the terminal systems I worked with (ages ago, so my memory is haze), you always
took some action to indicate that your input was complete: tab to get out of a
field, enter to finish the record. Is your environment different?

In the course of the discussion, you shifted a bit from keyboard input to scripts.
I have a followup question about that.
Suppose that a script in your environment is supposed to recognize "Smit", but is
not supposed to recognize "Smith".
How is this any different from the script that is supposed to recognize "Sma", but
is not supposed to recognize "Sma<ring>" (e.g. Små)?

Mark