Shina (was RE: A basic question on encoding Latin characters)

From: Reynolds, Gregg (greynolds@datalogics.com)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 10:56:09 EDT

So, well, what do you want to know? I don't know if you're looking for more
detail on how Unicode might be harmful, or for suggestions on how to make it
less so. Unfortunately I'm a little pressed for time at the moment, so I
can't give you the full dissertation.

But I can give you this:
http://www.enteract.com/~greyno/lang/shina/tahajji.gif. It's a chart of
lettering from a Shina elementary school writing book that I found in the
library this weekend. I took a quick look at the character charts (version
2 I'm afraid) and didn't find any Arabiform letters with the "=" affix.
Also, it looks like the bottom have of the listing shows di/tri-graphs for
aspirated consonants. I know Unicode has the "special ha" for e.g. Urdu,
which would presumably be used here. But suppose our pals in Shinaland
(somewhere in Pakistan/India/Afghanistan) are like our correspondants in
Chechnya, and they insist that such digraphs be treated as single letters.
I don't believe Unicode as it currently stands provides for this. So here's
a practical question: assume that they do all the right things and put a
proposal through the appropriate bodies and Unicode ends up working for
them. How much time and money will it have cost?

Sincerely,

Gregg