Re: Missing North American characters?

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 07:14:17 EDT

Dear Eric,

Apparently the two of us use the English language quite differently, and
this has impeded our communication rather alarmingly. Shall we take it as
read that we are both gentlemen of good will, and let the misunderstanding
flow past under the bridge?

You've intimated on several occasions that there are letters missing from
the UCS. You didn't say (until today) say that the communities with whom
you are in touch with have not fully identified their requirements.

We do know that languages like Lakota make use of S WITH CARON but often
resort to S-H because of technological limitations, and that this gives
rise to multiple orthographies for some languages.

In general, both archival-use and practical orthographies ought to be
supported by the UCS. When you have preliminary or finalized lists
available, you should let us know. I have invited you to put me in touch
with experts because experience has shown that discussion is of benefit
both the the UCS and to the experts doing their own work. If you don't want
to put us in touch with them, don't.

By the way, what are the two errors in Cherokee you mention? The repertoire
and names list was approved by the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma before it
was sent forward for ballot. It was also reviewed and approved by other
Cherokee Bands.

Beir bua agus beannacht,

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)