Re: RE: A basic question on encoding Latin characters

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 11:44:45 EDT

Kevin Bracey scripsit:

> Another circumstance which exhibits this problem is HTML. "<" marks the
> start of a markup tag. However, "<+combining /" (canonically equivalent to
> U+226C), or any other form of "<" doesn't, so a Unicode capable browser must
> presumably take only a "<" followed by a non-combining character as the start
> of a tag.

XML, at least, specifically does not require support for canonical
equivalence. Implementations are permitted to allow loose matching
of names, which *may* include Unicode canonical equivalence; AFAIK
all existing implementations support bit-by-bit equivalence only.

However, I will bring up the matter of U+226C in XML content to the
appropriate parties.

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin