Re: A basic question on encoding Latin characters

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 13:04:30 EDT

Ar 08:59 -0700 1999-09-30, scríobh John Cowan:

>I regret to mention that due to the name stability rules (whoever names
>the species first wins, subject to being overruled on a case-by-case
>basis by the appropriate international society), the lovely name
>*Eohippus* 'dawn horse' has now been replaced by the ugly and
>unsuitable name *Hyracotherium* 'hyrax-like animal'.

I hate that kind of thing. I was 4 when I learned there was a marvellous
creature called a Brontosaurus, and think that the recent shift to
Apatosaurus is just pathetic. Which rules, the glory of the first scientist
to describe an anumal, or the love of creatures in the hearts and minds of
the people?

Not that this has anything to do with the Universal Character Set. Since
_we_ don't change names. :-)

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)