Re: A basic question on encoding Latin characters

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 12:40:42 EDT

John Jenkins scripsit:

> Forgive my impatience, but this is a very very departed specimen of Eohippus
> here.

I regret to mention that due to the name stability rules (whoever names
the species first wins, subject to being overruled on a case-by-case
basis by the appropriate international society), the lovely name
*Eohippus* 'dawn horse' has now been replaced by the ugly and
unsuitable name *Hyracotherium* 'hyrax-like animal'.

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin