RE: Unicode politics (was: A basic question on encoding Latin cha racters)

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Sun Oct 03 1999 - 09:29:56 EDT

Once again, I will annoy you with my postings about things that I don't know
well enough to talk about...

I have a very high consideration of the work that is being done with
Unicode. Not only and not mainly because I work as a programmer. On the
contrary, I think that Unicode is far more important than just another
computer set, and that future generations will see it as a key event in the
history of writing systems (much more than a key event in the history of
computers).

Yet, I don't think that Unicode should become an universal literacy utopy.
It is not the task of Unicode to try to develop or promote writing systems
for language communities that don't yet have one, nor should it try to force
a choice for language communities that are still evaluating their options.

Nor it is the task of governments, religions, or ideologies to come up with
new writing systems.

Everybody should bear in mind that "illiterate" societies are often not so
"illiterate". It is very likey that many (at least some) speakers of
minority unwritten language are nevertheless literate in the *dominant*
language(s) of their countries. This skill is far enough for people to come
up with their own writing system, when they feel they need one.

And this is how it has always been in the history of writing systems. As far
as I know, languages have always been put in writing by natives who were
previously acquainted with the (then) dominant language *and* its writing
systems.

The Japanese who, one day, started writing their language with Chinese
characters were monks or intellectuals that (at that age) could speak and
write fluent Chinese and, probably, considered Japanese just as their incult
"dialect". The same holds true for Greece: the people who first adapted a
Semitic alphabet to Greek probably where merchants fluent in the prestigious
Phoenician language, and started writing their "barbaric" language with
Phoenician letters just as a joke, or as a challange. People who decided to
spell Urdu or Persian with Arabic letters probably had a perfect command of
the Arabic language, that they used every day to read the Kuran.

And we know that the same is true also for our Western languages. The reason
why all of them are written with the "Latin" alphabet is that the people who
started writing national European language wrote, till the day before, in
Latin. The first time an educated Italian aboriginal wrote an essay *about*
his language (and how it had to be written), he dit it in *Latin*: the
language that, at that time, was dominating in culture. Only after this
theoretical work (De Vulgari Eloquentia) the aboriginal Dante Alighieri
could start writing poems *in* Italian.

If I was an illiterate member of an Amazonas tribe, I would prefer that my
language is put in writing, if it has to be, by educated members of my
community (well, educated in Portuguese or Spanish, that is) than from a
commetee in San José, California.

Of course the natives who start writing their native language could well be
christians, muslims, communists, government officials, etc., and thus the
first texts written in those languages would be translations of the Bible,
the Kuran, the Manifesto or the Constitution... Better that than having
silly sentences like "Where do you want to go today" or "Think different" as
one's languages first recorded texts!

As a literate member of an European tribe, I feel that my community has no
rights (nor skill, nor need) to do such a job. And I feel that when
strangers (missionaries, anthropologists) actually did this, they always
ended up with poor results. Who decided, for instance, to use rare IPA
symbols to write some African languages? Probably an anthropologist who was
only interested in a very "scientific" recording of sounds -- and did not
care too much that natives would, one day, have had troubles with computer
keyboards or adhesive letters on road signs...

Regards.
        Marco