RE: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER REVERSED K?

From: Reynolds, Gregg (greynolds@datalogics.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 11:04:44 EDT

I doubt very much it has anything to do with politics. A 'K' in the box
score means 'strikeout'; a reversed 'K' means, uh, I forget what exactly,
but I'm sure you could find it on the net somewhere. The guy across the
hall things it means the catcher dropped the third strike, which technically
speaking means its not a strikeout, since the batter must be tagged out.
But I think that's a little too arcane; I think it might mean the batter
went down swinging. In any case, I'm pretty sure reversing the K just adds
one of some statistical bit of info to the basic idea of "strikeout". Also,
I wouldn't ordinarily thing of the box score as a string. You can stuff
much more info into one of those little boxes than seems decent. Its
actually a very sophisticated and compact shorthand that records, in about
the space of a single CJK character, what happened, in what order, involving
which players, etc.

Hmmm. I don't see the "Box Score" block in Unicode. Is Unicode oppressing
sports fans?

-gregg