RE: Burma/Myanmar

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 06:25:31 EDT

Ar 16:04 -0700 1999-10-04, scríobh Reynolds, Gregg:
>Ken -
>
>I hope you will reread your post and think very hard about it. You have
>missed the boat, completely, not even close. I'll spare you my explanation
>of why until I'm less steamed and less likely to offend you, since you seem
>like basically a decent guy who just doesn't get it, as the saying goes.

Ken described quite accurately the situation which obtained when
knowledgeable representatives from Myanmar came to WG2 and discussed the
matter with us.

I have checked ISO 3166-2 and while "Burma" is not the name of any
administrative unit of the Union of Myanmar, I recall the Myanmar delegates
stating that "Burma" was a region, not the whole country. It's like the
Finnish word for Estonia, "Viro"; in Estonian "Viru" is the northern part
of Estonia only.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)