RE: Burma/Myanmar

From: Reynolds, Gregg (greynolds@datalogics.com)
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 17:59:23 EDT

Oh boy, sorry about the pissy tone. (must remember: not post at end of long
annoying day.)

FWIW, what set me off (fortunately I had the sense to reread and delete my
first highly edifying missive (must remember: read _3_ times before
sending)) was the part about how friendly and earnest the delegates were,
plus the part about white liberal guilt.

I don't want to belabor the issue, since the note that started the thread
was careful to address the specific case of naming. But since Ken brought
up the who and the how, and Michael confirmed, I hope a few brief
observations won't be construed as too holier-than-thou:

 - Dastardly malevolents like the ruling gangsters in Burma/Myanmar place a
very high value on the symbols of political legitimacy associated with
participation in prestigious international fora.

 - I doubt very much if Ken or anybody else can tell who is a thug and who
isn't based on table manners and enthusiasm for Unicode. Satan no doubt
throws a wonderful dinner party; wife-beaters come in all forms, and
technocratic functionaries, because of their narrow focus, are probably
among the most useful of dupes. Then again, maybe the delegates are heroic
members of the resistance. I doubt it very much, but who knows? Its very
easy for us in the West at least to maintain a regal neutrality, but I don't
think that is the case at ground zero.

 - "Myanmar Information Technology Standardization Committee" sounds very
much like a governmental or quasi-governmental body; by definition, such a
body does the work of SLORC; extending the welcome mat to such a body
confers some degree of legitimacy, however slight, on the criminals in
power. So the personal characteristics of the delegates are not relevant.

 - The crack about white liberal guilt is sufficiently addressed by Michael
Everson in a post in another thread.

 - "Polite" seems a rather odd choice of words to discuss dealings with such
a brutal regime.

So I guess the gist of my little cri de conscience is that in the larger
picture it's not really about the names of characters, and that bodies like
ISO and Unicode should not be allowed to imagine they operate in a political
vacuum. Doesn't mean its easy, but neither were decisions about dealing
with South Africa 15 years ago. Not that I think Ken suffers from any great
political disconnect (although his note could give that impression, IMHO);
but its up to pipsqueakers like me to hold his feet to the fire now and
then.

Anyway, since I opened my big mouth I figured I owed everybody an
explanation. I'm not looking for a great debate on political responsibility
in the digital age. Although it would be fun it's pretty clearly beyond the
scope of this list, so I'll stick to Unicode issues. Unless somebody
dangles some really juicy bait out there.

Sincerely,

Gregg Reynolds
Oh, yeah, these are my personal opinions only.