Japanese calendar system (was: Re: Schutz-Staffel symbol

From: Martin J. Duerst (duerst@w3.org)
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 22:31:52 EDT

At 03:47 99/10/05 -0700, Michael Everson wrote:
> Ar 12:50 -0700 1999-10-04, scr$ByP(Jbh Rick McGowan:

> >BTW, the Japanese era names aren't controlled by, or strictly related to,
> >the emperor anymore; they're controlled (I believe) by parliament. And
> >presumably all future such eras will *not* be encoded in the Unicode
> >standard.
>
> I thought that calendar system was widely used in Japan, like by taxi
> drivers. Do they use the PUZ for it or what?

The calendar system is very widely used, not only by taxi drivers.
As the aera names can be represented by two ideographs, and these
can be formatted to fit into the area of one ideograph, there is
no need for further encoding.

Regards, Martin.

#-#-# Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-# mailto:duerst@w3.org http://www.w3.org