Re: Burma/Myanmar

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@dircon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 18:48:43 EDT

Jeroen Hellingman wrote

> In Kerala, almost all names have changed to more rational transliterations
> of their Malayalam names, because the English translations have been
> quite horrible -- they will look as name changes to us.

> Trivandrum Tiruvananthapuram
> Quilon Kollam
> Calicut Kozhikode
> Alwaye Aluva

In neighbouring Karnataka most people still seem to call
Kozhikode "Calicut", Tiruvananthapuram "Trivandrum"
etc - at least when they are speaking English. My point
was that the English name of a place does not have to be
the same as the name of that place in the local language.
After all they have names for Britain in their own languages
which don't sound like Britain.

- Chris