Re: Latin-ext-B and IPA fonts for Win32

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 15:49:31 EDT

> Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone know if Win98 comes with Lucida Sans
> Unicode (I know WinNT does)? The only two Win98 machines I have easy access
> to both have it installed, but they've also been upgraded to handle Asian
> and "Pan-European" scripts, and it's possible that Lucida Sans Unicode
> slipped in during one of those upgrades.
>
> I wish I could find out which Unicode ranges are covered by which (standard)
> versions of Win32, and how much is added by the Pan-European language pack
> (and any other language pack for that matter). That info doesn't seem easy
> to come by without repeatedly reformatting a hard drive, installing a new
> OS, digging through the fonts with some utility, reformatting the hard
> drive, ....then downloading IE, installing a language pack, carefully
> determining which fonts are new, digging thru them, then installing another
> language pack....

I'll second that. If a better populated, consistent version of Lucida Sans
Unicode were available for all Windows versions -- 95, 98, NT, 2000 -- a
great many developers who target Microsoft platforms would heave a great
sigh of relief.

In particular, I think most people who read this list would agree that it's
a mistake to assume that somebody who buys a PC in (say) the Czech Republic
will only be using Czech characters. In every country, one finds universities
where people need to write text in as many languages as possible. On also
finds businesses that have an international clientele.

With the astounding capacities of today's run-of-the-mill PC, why is it
still necessary to deliver fonts containing different subsets of Unicode
with different national versions of Windows?

- Frank