Re: Peking/Beijing (Re: Burma/Myanmar)

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 06:37:50 EDT

John Cowan writes:

> Edward Cherlin scripsit:
>
>> The spelling "Peking" in the Wade-Giles Romanization represents the
>> same pronunciation in the same dialect as "Beijing" in Pinyin.
>
> I don't think so. W-G k = Pinyin g, not j. The W-G would be
> Peiching.

My understanding is that northern Mandarin underwent a sound shift between
the time the Jesuits came up with the romanization in question (late 17th,
early 18th century) and today. The city is still "Bak-ging" in Cantonese.

And I refuse to call it anything other than Peking myself.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
tseng@blueneptune.com