Re: AFII font for UCS:2000

From: James E. Agenbroad (jage@loc.gov)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 09:37:27 EDT

                                             Friday, October 15, 1999
Given that for some scripts (mainly Arabic, Indic and SE Asian) the
character to glyph ratio (or roughly the Unicode(tm) characters to AFII
registered glyphs ratio) is often 1:several, has the Unicode Consortium
plans for AFII glyphs that rendering engines need but that have no single
equivalent in Unicode? Could one hope to see a list (or lists by script?)
of the sequences of Unicode codes that could invoke these "orphan glyphs"?
I know such lists would involve significant effort but by reducing
vendor's redundant efforts and costs they would be of considerable utility
in promoting availabilty of legible text in these scripts. While there
will always be specific device dependencies, is more standardization
feasible?
     A more general question could be: Now that the Unicode Consortium has
"taken over AFII responsibilities", beyond using AFII data to create
version 3.0, what does it plan to do with these responsibilities? (If it
needs stating I affirm I'm all for creating 3.0.)
     I'll be away next week.

     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US mail: I.T.S. Dev.Gp.4, Library
of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.