Re: Enochian

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 19:28:28 EDT

Ashley responded to Michael:

> At 1999-10-22 11:45, Michael Everson wrote:
>
> > -- and if they are not
> >just bizarre glyph variants of the Tibetan Script (as Enochian and Theban
> >might be considered to be with regard to English).
>
> Stop that, will you?
>
> Theban, like the Alphabet of the Magi, Secret Etruscan, Noachite, Vehmic,
> the Inquisatorial alphabet, the Templar alphabet, the various versions of
> the Rose Cross cipher, and Pig-Pen, is a cipher for Latin. Should such
> things be encoded in Unicode or the ConScript Registry? Arguably they
> are, as you say, merely glyph variants and are best handled at the font
> level.
>
> Enochian, on the other hand, is a script for a language. I've never seen
> any English transliterated into Enochian. One might as well consider that
> Sir John Dee constructed the language and associated script in
> Elizabethan times, although he claimed that it was in fact the language
> angels use.

Well, language, yes. Script--eh, doubtful. Let's cite an examples from
the relevant sources, say:

http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/library/enochian/rituals/enochian_ritual_of_open_by_watch.html

"6. On reaching south, shake fire symbol three times before the Tablet or
Sigil, then make a large circle, tracing Invoking Pentagram of Fire
within it, then sign of Leo as Fire Kerub in center, intoning:

7. OYP TEAA PEDOKE (OH-EE-PAY TAY-AH-AH PAY-DOH-KAY) VY PRYAZ OMOAS
DE HUBAR, E VYN ONK DS KHYS DE YALPOOR KIKLE."

Pardon me if that doesn't look like uppercase Latin. And when you go
look at the tables for the Enochian *letters* for this stuff, they
are just mapped directly onto "English" letters, except that there
is only one symbol for English C/K, only one symbol for English I/J/Y
and one symbol for English U/V/W. Sounds like a cipher to me. --
especially since it also has nice neat correspondences to planets
and zodiacal signs, to tarot card elements, and to "Gematria" values
(analogous to, and no doubt inspired by practice of the Kabbala for
Hebrew letters).

Oh, and by the way, if you Unicoders think your managers will give you
h-e-double-hockeysticks for wasting your time going to meetings to
discuss Klingon -- wait till they find out what you are dabbling in
for Enochian!

--Ken