re: Internet Explorer 5, Unicode Fonts, and Fontographer

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sun Oct 24 1999 - 11:49:04 EDT

On Sunday, October 24, 1999 8:14:45 AM, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> Does anyone know of the internal tables of these contextual TrueTypes?

They're documented at both Microsoft's and Adobe's typography sites. (Go to
http://www.microsoft.com and search for typography.) Specifically, you're
looking at the GSUB and GPOS OpenType tables, for which no public tool
exists for editing.

> And if a further version of Fontographer can support them?

There is no further version of Fontographer. The latest version came out
six years ago, and although there are occasional noises that it will be
updated, I am frankly doubtful that it will ever happen.

Stripping of non-standard TT tables and hints is standard operating
procedure for Fontographer. There's no way around it.

The latest general purpose font editor out there is FontLab, but it can't
edit the OpenType tables, either. It will, however, at least preserve the
hints.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com