RE: How to use Unicode on XML/HTML pages

From: Tim Greenwood (greenwood@openmarket.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 14:46:33 EDT

Good and interesting game. Perhaps you could tabulate the results and share
them. My results (OS is Windows 95) are:

Mail client - Outlook 98 (8.5.6204.0) displays all but the UTF-8 correctly.
View/Language shows 'Western European'. When I change this to Unicode
(UTF-8) the UTF-8 displays correctly. The window title shows as the subject
line, not the one that you have in <TITLE> </TITLE>.

Saving the mail as an html file and using the browser gives

Internet Explorer (5.00.2314.1003) - all the characters display correctly.
View Encoding shows it as UTF-8, but the title shows as the file name, or
the URL when I move the file to be accessed via a web server. Looks like IE
decides that it cannot correctly render a title, so just ignores all in the
<TITLE> </TITLE> construct.

NetscapeŽ Communicator 4.6 - all the characters display correctly. The title
shows as "?-Test" (with a question mark). View/Character Set shows it as
Western, switching to Unicode has no impact. Page Info does show the charset
correctly as utf-8 when the file is served by a server - shows all this http
info as unknown when just read by the browser from local disk.

Tim