Re: Ancient Egyptian Cartouches

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 13:50:03 EDT

Ar 10:26 -0700 1999-10-28, scríobh schererm@us.ibm.com:
>this sounds like "cartouches" should be left to styles in non-plain text,
>if they are indeed "equivalent to Latin stylistic forms".
>encoding styles is bad. stateful text encodings are very bad.

I would like very much to have beginning and ending cartouches encoded.
"(Cleopatra)" would be better than "<CARTOUCHE>Cleopatra</CARTOUCHE>"
because it is visible in plain text, and because cartouches are visible and
commonplace and _very_ _meaningful_ in Egyptian.

Whether a rendering engine is able to draw the line between the cartouches
is a matter for the software, I should think, but cartouches do have
beginnings and ends and are more like parentheses than some kind of italic
style or something.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)