Re: Ancient Egyptian Cartouches

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 06:39:26 EDT

schererm@us.ibm.com wrote on 1999-10-28 17:26 UTC:
> this sounds like "cartouches" should be left to styles in non-plain text,
> if they are indeed "equivalent to Latin stylistic forms".
> encoding styles is bad. stateful text encodings are very bad.

You misunderstood. The cartouche start and end codes are just characters,
not state changes. The cartouche ovals can be rendered by

  - a start cartouche glyph
  - a sequence of hieroglyphs from a special font style that
    has a cartouche line above and below
  - an end cartouche glyph

The cartouche start and end codes are as little state changes as
parenthesis are. At least, that is how I think they should be
implemented: As a font change plus two special glyphs (directional
pairs) for the endings.

Markus