RE: How to distinguish UTF-8 from Latin-* ?

From: Vinod Balakrishnan (vinod@filemaker.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 18:11:27 EDT

>> if it is xml, then have a look at the xml spec (with the errata list!!).
>> it is very clearly specified how to figure that all out there.
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>...
>>
>Actually, the XML spec is quite clear that neither UTF-16 nor UTF-8 require
>the encoding tag.... XML is defined by one of the following:
>
>1) Starts with byte Mark for Big-Endian/Little-Endian Unicode -- go with the
>byte mark
>
>2) No encoding information... UTF-8 can be assumed (often it is just ASCII
>so this works)

This was my concern, there is no way to distinguish UTF-8 from Latin-1 in
case of upper ASCII characters here.

But in case of XML we can assume it as UTF-8, since Unicode is the
preferred encoding for XML.

But in case of HTML (supports both Latin and Unicode encoding), there are
cases where http server can get encoded URLs in UTF-16/UTF-8/Latin-* with
out any header containing the encoding information. In this case, if the
server doesn't maintain the encoding through an extra mechanism, there is
no way to differentiate UTF-8 from Latin-1 for upper ASCII characters.
Again this can happen only in case of HTML, because it supports both the
Latin and Unicode encoding.