Re: How-To handle i18n when you don't know charset?

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 16:25:15 EDT

> My experimentation indicated that if the user did not have their browser
set
> to auto-select encoding, or if they manually overrode the encoding
> selection, the form data would be sent in whatever they had chosen,
> regardless of what charset may be in the <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
> ...> in the HTML document head.

My general feeling of people who specifically change settings so that the
text was rendered properly and then they specificically changed it is as
follows:

THEY DESERVE WHATEVER THEY GET.

The GIGO (garbage in, garbage out ) philospophy is the best way to go here,
IMHO. How much more can you do other than provide a java applet that will
hav a big hand come out of the screen and slap them silly?

michka