Names of planes, and request for sneak preview

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 11:48:29 EDT

Michael Everson's "Roadmap" pages refer to Planes 0, 1, 2, and 14 as
the BMP, SMP, SIP, and GPP respectively.

Everybody and his cat should know that BMP stands for Basic Multilingual
Plane, and the Roadmap pages also show that SMP is short for Secondary
Multilingual Plane. What are SIP and GPP?

Also, the Plane 1 Roadmap says that the Etruscan, Gothic, and Deseret
scripts are virtually guaranteed to be encoded at U+10300, U+10330, and
U+10400 respectively (they lack only the final approval from WG2, which
is widely expected). If I *PROMISE* to use them only for testing and
not for "live" data or interchange, can I assume these scripts are laid
out as shown in the proposals on Everson's site? In general, can someone
with inside information on Plane 1 assignments provide a sneak preview,
complete with the usual caveats that responsible implementors must follow
(no guarantees, use at own risk, etc.)?

Thanks,

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California